We are so excited to see you at Summit next week! The NewSchools Summit team is working around the clock to ensure a great experience for you. In anticipation of your visit, we’ve compiled some practical advice for making your way through the day.
You’ll need your name tag to get into sessions and social events. Come get yours at the registration area (2nd floor at the top of the escalator) during these times:
April 28: 7:00 am -10:00 pm
April 29: 7:00 am -10:00 pm
April 30: 6:30 am – 5:00 pm
CREATE YOUR PERSONAL AGENDA
We’re covering a host of fascinating education topics at Summit! To help you make sense of it all, we’ve put together a uniquely designed site with resources related to the Summit sessions.
OPENING RECEPTION (4/29/14)
SUMMIT DAY (4/30/14)
8:00-9:20AM Opening Plenary: Bryan Stevenson
9:20-10:20AM Hours of Power (see agenda)
10:20-11:50AM Breakout Sessions (see agenda)
12:00-1:10PM Lunchtime Plenary: John King
1:50-3:00PM Breakout Sessions (see agenda)
3:00-4:00PM Hours of Power (see agenda)
4:10-5:30PM Closing Plenary: Jim Shelton
5:30-7:30PM Closing Reception
Some sessions have limited space—please plan accordingly.
Morning Yoga: For a centering start to your Summit experience, we invite you to join us for a complimentary yoga class at 6am Wednesday morning in Bayside I. All levels are welcome and some mats will be provided.
3rd Annual Summit 5K: The 3rd Annual Summit 5K will leave from the hotel lobby at 6am sharp! This informal, non-competitive event is open to runners of all abilities.
We have designed two hour-long blocks on Wednesday for networking and other interactions: 9:20-10:20AM and 3:00-4:00pm. Check the agenda for all the awesome activities that will be happening during those times.
Helpful services in the San Ramon Room:
· Q&A Table – there’s no such thing as a stupid question!
· AT&T charging station
· Live streaming of sessions
Here are a few that we recommend:
· Transforming Trauma: Promoting Resilience Learn about the neurobiology of stress and trauma and how we can use this understanding to promote resilience and school success for all members of a school community. Read more in this blog entry.
· Winning the Fight for Higher Standards Learn about the shared elements of the political Common Core battles as well as lessons — strategy and tactics for winning the battle for all students.
· STEM to STEAM: Creativity as a Lever for Social Justice Explore the relationship between STEM, creativity, and social justice and how these pieces can engage diverse learners to transform their world.
WHAT TO WEAR, WHAT TO WEAR…
It can be confusing to know what to wear here in the land of casual. Summit attendees cover the range of fashion from Silicon Valley casual to East Coast business attire. Business casual is a safe bet.