The EIR is a unique position that enables new education entrepreneurs to spend time early on in their idea generation stage, developing fresh solutions and incubating innovations that will transform the field of teacher preparation.
While with NewSchools, the Learning to Teach EIR will have the opportunity to develop a business plan, receive support from our team of experienced staff and incubate their early-stage ventures in a supportive environment. The daily schedule varies and depends on the needs of the entrepreneur. Weekly activities include:
- Sharing ideas and getting feedback on them from the NewSchools team;
- Researching best practices and networking with potential customers;
- Receiving customized management assistance and mentorship from NewSchools and Teach For America in troubleshooting challenges and forming a strong foundation for your venture;
- Learning from other pioneers (other founders and funders) in the field by spending time with NewSchools’ existing portfolio organizations like the Relay Graduate School of Education, New Teacher Center, the Urban Teacher Center, Match Charter Sposato School of Education/Match Teaching Residency
Applicants must meet all the following criteria to be eligible to apply for the residency:
- Must have an original idea to transform teacher preparation
- Must be in start-up phase. To be considered a start-up, the organization may have been in operation for up to two years. Applicants who have only worked on their organization on a part-time basis or have yet to start the organization are generally considered eligible
- Must intend to form a venture that is independent and autonomous and not part of an existing organization
*Please Check back in the future for information on applying to the 3rd LTT EIR position
Step 1: Submit Statement of Intent
Candidates will be invited by Teach for America and NewSchools to submit a Statement of Intent online and email their resumes to NewSchools.
Step 2: 1st Round Interview
Candidates advanced to the first round will take part in phone interviews.
Step 3: 2nd Round Finalist Interviews
Finalists will be notified if they have advanced to second round interviews and will be asked to prepare a brief, Venture Pospectus detailing their idea. NewSchools will provide travel and lodging for interview day.
Step 4: Join NewSchools as our Entrepreneur in Residence